I’m totally stealing this from Paul over at The Captain’s Speech, after he was tagged by Bill from A Silly Place. Because answering 30 questions posed by someone else represents, to me, a blog post that I don’t have to think much about when it comes to the writing. So thanks for the questions, fellas!
1. What was your favorite childhood book?
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz… Still is my favorite book.
2. What was your favorite TV show as a child?
Probably Thundercats, which is almost painful to watch as an adult. I mean, it’s worth suffering through because it’s still freakin’ awesome. But it’s definitely different watching those old cartoons as an adult than it was as a kid.
3. What book did you read in secret as a kid?
Sadly, there wasn’t much I liked to read when I was a kid. I didn’t develop a love for reading until I was nearly done with college. So I can’t really think of any books I’d have secretly read growing up. I can think of plenty that I was supposed to read that I secretly did not, though.
4. What album and CD do you love and know by heart?
That would be a toss up between The Eagles Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 and 2. When I was in high school, I had a cassette player in my car. So my dad copied those CDs onto a tape that I had a tendency to listen to over and over again. I’d probably still call The Eagles my favorite band.
5. What book did you hate as a student?
Most of them… I really was horrible when it came to reading the things I was supposed to. It can all be traced back to the annoying trait I picked up in high school where I learned I could pass with Cs while not doing much work instead of applying myself and scoring As. But when I read that question, the first book that came to mind was The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. In 9th grade, it just bored me to tears. Not sure if I’d have a different appreciation for the novel today… but I’m also not sure that I’d be willing to give it a shot.
6. What is your all-time favorite movie?
This one’s easy. Back to the Future, without question.
7. What song always lifts your mood?
“Dancing Queen” by ABBA. Just kidding… the correct answer is actually “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz. Funny enough, though, my favorite version is the one performed by Mr. Schuester on Glee, which itself is in the style of the cover by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole. Please don’t mock me for liking a Glee song. Some of them are really good covers.
8. What is the last book you read?
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. I decided to read back through The Chronicles of Narnia in their proper order. Yeah, I said it.
9. Which TV shows have you binge-watched? Why?
Stranger Things is always a binge-worthy series whenever a new season drops. I’m currently binge-watching Star Wars: Rebels on Disney+. I’m impressed.
10. If you were an animal, which animal would you be?
An otter. They just always seem like they’re having the best time.
11. What was your most embarrassing moment?
I don’t think I’m easily embarrassed, so this one’s tough. If I’ve had a legitimate embarrassing moment, I must have blocked it from my memory. I can’t come up with a thing.
12. What famous author would you most like to meet?
Stephen King or J.K. Rowling… I’d be happy with meeting and/or interviewing either of them.
13. What in your past would you most like to change?
My above-mentioned apathy in high school.
14. Describe your most profound musical experience.
The first time I ever heard OMC’s “How Bizarre”, for sure.
15. What important classic book have you never read?
Lots of them… Let’s go with The Canterbury Tales as chief among them.
16. What is your least favorite food?
Peanut butter… even the smell is enough to nauseate me.
17. What movie, book, or music always makes you cry?
Movie: My Girl; Book: Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks; Music: “Day Is Done” by Peter, Paul, & Mary (because Dad used to sing it to me whenever I was afraid or upset and the memory always gets me).
18. What actor or actress do you have a crush on?
Forever Sarah Michelle Gellar.
19. Would you rather be a vampire or a zombie? Why?
Vampire… Drinking blood seems less gross than eating brains. And if we’re talking vampires like what we’ve seen in Buffy, they still have the chance to lead semi-normal lives and fight with the good guys. I think I could handle being one of those vampires with a soul.
20. What book at home would you use to squash a bug?
I assume this question implies that we would use a book we hate to squash a bug. The only book I can think of that I own that I actively disliked while I was reading it is Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Which is really disappointing. I thought I’d love it considering my love for The Wizard of Oz and the music of the Broadway musical that’s based on the book. I haven’t actually seen Wicked, but I’m told it’s real different from the book. In a good way, I hope.
21. Which character would you like to be in Harry Potter?
Arthur Weasley… He’s got loads of integrity, stands up for what he believes in, and seems to genuinely enjoy the little things in life.
22. What song would you most like to sing on stage?
“Dream On” by Aerosmith.
23. Do you like your name? What name would you prefer?
Sure, I like my name. After nearly 40 years, I’m so used to it, I’m not sure I could answer to another.
24. What do most people not know about you?
I once tried out for American Idol.
25. If you could live anywhere, where would you live?
I kind of like where I am these days.
26. If you could go back in time, where would you go?
Should the question be when would you go? Anyway… I’m with Paul on this one. I’d probably go back to college. Those were some good years. But I’d go sophomore year on… freshman year was rough.
27. What poems have you memorized? Recite one of them?
I don’t think I’ve ever actually memorized a poem in my life. How uncultured…
28. Who in your life has made a strong impression on you?
Cecil, my Sunday School teacher when I was a kid; Nicole, one of my best friends in Raleigh; and Kathryn, a coworker.
29. Do you have a recurring dream? Describe it.
I have a lot of really strange dreams. But I really don’t have any that repeat. No real reruns that I can think of.
30. What epitaph would you like on your tombstone?
“Joke’s on you, this guy was cremated.”