In honor of today being my 40th birthday, I thought I’d take a look at some other people and things that are turning the big 4-0.
There’s no one famous who shares my specific birthday, unlike my mother who likes to claim that Vanna White is her twin sister. Well, no one famous according to Wikipedia. Maybe someday my name will be listed as a significant birth on the 1980 article.
People turning 40 this year…
- Elin Nordegren – Tiger Woods’ ex
- D’Arcy Carden – Janet from The Good Place
- Zooey Deschanel – Jess from New Girl
- Jason Segel – Marshall from How I Met Your Mother
- Wilmer Valderrama – Fez from That ’70s Show
- William Jackson Harper – Chidi from The Good Place
- Christina Ricci – Wednesday Addams from The Addams Family
- Jason Ritter – Dipper Pines from Gravity Falls; also the son of John Ritter
- Chelsea Clinton – Former first daughter
- Rebel Wilson – Fat Amy from Pitch Perfect
- Laura Prepon – Donna from That ’70s Show
- Tony Romo – Retired sportsballer
- Channing Tatum – Gambit from a movie that will never get made
- Ellie Kemper – Kimmy Schmidt from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Venus Williams – One of the greatest tennis players ever
- Minka Kelly – Dawn Granger/Dove from Titans
- Michael Vick – Animal lover… too soon?
- Olivia Munn – Psylocke from X-Men Apocalypse
- Eva Green – Vesper from Casino Royale
- Jessica Simpson – Tabloid fodder
- Kristen Bell – All the things
- Chris Pine – Steve Trevor from Wonder Woman
- Macaulay Culkin – Kevin from Home Alone
- Max Greenfield – Schmidt from New Girl
- Michelle Williams – Jen from Dawson’s Creek
- Ben Savage – Cory Matthews from Boy Meets World and Girl Meets World
- Zachary Levi – Chuck from Chuck
- Nick Cannon – Mariah Carey’s ex
- Ryan Gosling – Lars from Lars and the Real Girl
- Anna Chlumsky – Veda from My Girl
- Jenna Dewan – Channing Tatum’s ex
- Christina Aguilera – Former Mouseketeer
Movies turning 40 this year…
- Friday the 13th
- The Empire Strikes Back
- The Shining
- The Blues Brothers
- Somewhere in Time
- Superman II
- Raging Bull
- Flash Gordon
- 9 to 5
Other things turning 40 this year…
- Rubik’s Cube – While the cube itself was created by Erno Rubik back in 1974, it wasn’t licensed and sold as the toy we all know and love until 1980.
- Big League Chew – The shredded chewing gum that serves as an alternative to chewing tobacco.
- Post-Its – Another item that was actually invented in 1974 at 3M, but they couldn’t market it properly until 1980 when it hit the wider market.
- CNN – A 24-hour news station? Can’t be done… can’t.
- McChicken Sandwich – McDonald’s wanted to give customers an alternative to the hamburger. Without this sandwich, would we have riots over Popeye’s chicken sandwich?
- The Far Side – Gary Larson’s hilarious one-panel comic is still funny and relevant. If only he’d put out new content.
- Pac-Man – The arcade game where a yellow circle moves around a maze eating dots and chasing ghosts made its debut in Japan.
- Whole Foods – The very first store in what is now a pretty recognizable chain opened in Austin, Texas.
I did some searching, and nothing significant happened on March 6, 1980. Except for me being born, that is. So… you know… You’re welcome, planet earth.