Hey, kids! As you can see, I’m still playing catch up after being a slacker in recent weeks. Well… a slacker as far as my internet and blogging life are concerned.
In today’s post I’m excited to say that I’ve been given a Blogger Recognition Award by Becky over at Strikeouts + Sprinkles! Thanks for thinking of me! As with yesterday’s Mystery Blogger Award, there are rules. Rules that I may or may not completely follow… I’m still a loner, Dottie. A rebel.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Acknowledge the blogger who nominated you.
- Give a brief story of why you started your blog.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Nominate 10 bloggers who deserve the award.
Number one is in process. ‘Cause… check it out… The second was taken care of in the above paragraph.
Why I Started My Blog…
Which story do you want? The story of my first blog or this one? I don’t feel like either story is really all that impressive or exciting. This blog began after I’d already been blogging using another platform for 10 years. My friend, Jeff, had been nagging me for months… maybe even over a year… to move my blog to WordPress. He insisted that WordPress was a much better blogging community. I’m resistant to change, so I hesitated to make the move for a long time (for months… maybe even over a year…).
When I crossed the 10 year mark on that original blog, I decided it was time to make the switch. And, you know, Jeff was right. The blogging community over here at WordPress is way better than those other guys. In the decade I ran that blog, I came away with a total of 64 followers. Here, to date, I have 694 followers in about 4.5 years of blogging. I mean, I know that’s not exactly viral or anything. I’m not getting famous over here. But it’s a much more impressive reach than I had back in the day.
I started that first blog because I bored at work. At the time I was working the night shift at a children’s group home. Between roughly 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., there wasn’t a lot to do. And you can only play so many games of Freecell before it loses its luster. I looked into this “weblog” thing and decided it would a fun way to record my thoughts. I had no direction. I had no common theme. I still don’t, let’s be honest. But I write because I enjoy writing. Some days more than others.
Advice for New Bloggers…
- I’m sure this is the advice that everyone gives to anyone who wants to produce any kind of content that will be consumed somewhere on the internet, whether it be a blog, a YouTube channel, or an Instagram account. Develop a thick skin. Not everyone is going to like what you have to say. And there are a lot of mean people out there. And mean people only get meaner when they are able to hide behind the anonymity of an internet comment. Some negative comments will hurt worse than others. But at some point, you just have to say, “Screw ’em…”
- Read other blogs. The best way to find a blogging community is to get involved with the blogging community. Search for blogs with content that interests you. Follow those blogs. Comment on those bloggers’ posts. When a new blogger follows you, follow them back. Or, at the very least, go check out their blog to see if it’s something you’d be interested in reading regularly.
As with yesterday’s blogging award, I won’t be nominating anyone this time, either. But if you want to share in the comments why you began blogging or any advice you have for new bloggers, I welcome your thoughts! Actually, I’m open to advice, too… even though I’m what you’d call an old blogger.