It all comes down to this, the final week of the 2nd Blogger Games. This week, our competitors will be put to the test with true/false questions.
Before we get down to our final ten questions, let’s take a look at the results of Week 4’s Entertainment based questions.
Week 4 – Entertainment
Competitors: Monty, Venus, T, Paul, yoyoliving
1. As a trumpet player in the 7th grade band, I once suggested to our band director that we play the score from what movie, based on the trumpet part alone?
A) Superman: The Movie
B) Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
C) Back to the Future
Correct: T, yoyoliving
This one may have been tricky because the scores from all three of these films have incredible trumpet parts. But of course the answer is Back to the Future. It’s my favorite movie of all time and was so even way back when I was in 7th grade band.
2. My favorite book of all time is…
A) The Stand by Stephen King
B) The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
C) A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
While I do think that the other two options are incredible books in their own right, my absolute favorite from early childhood has always been The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I find the entire series fascinating, but will always find the original to be the best of the best. It’s a true American fairy tale.
3. When it comes to vampire slayers, which one to I prefer the most?
A) Kristy Swanson as Buffy Summers
B) Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers
C) Eliza Dushku as Faith Lehane
Correct: T, Paul, yoyoliving
I was hoping that this one would be obvious. While I am impressed and happy for Sarah Michelle Gellar and her longtime husband, Freddie Prinze, Jr., if anything ever happens to their relationship, I offer my shoulder as one to cry on. For SMG… obviously…
4. My favorite film directed by Alfred Hitchcock is which of the following?
A) Rear Window
Correct: Monty, Paul, yoyoliving
All three of these Hitchcock flicks are fine films. But the way Rear Window tells the story just pulls me in every time I see it. Is our protagonist really witness to some horrible misdeed perpetrated by his neighbor or is his cabin fever causing him to create a mystery where there is none? And what’s not to love about James Stewart and Grace Kelly?
5. Which mainline Final Fantasy game is my favorite?
Correct: Venus, Paul
I had a feeling that this one would just have to be a wild guess for just about anyone taking a stab at this quiz. I think there have been a couple of blog posts where I’ve discussed my love for the overall Final Fantasy franchise, but I don’t know that I’ve ever been specific about my favorite game in the series.
6. With which book to film adaptation did I actually prefer the movie to the book?
A) The Shining
B) A Walk to Remember
C) The Hunger Games
Correct: Paul, yoyoliving
And that may be the only example of a movie I prefer over the book that I can think of. Honestly, it probably has more to do with the fact that I saw the movie long before I read the book… and the book is just so different. Also… Mandy Moore… so… yeah…
7. I am being followed on Twitter by an actress who had a part in which Will Ferrell movie?
A) Blades of Glory
B) Step Brothers
C) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Correct: Venus, T, Paul, yoyoliving
The actress in question is Darcy Donavan. If you’ve seen Anchorman, you would know her as the blonde woman accompanying Paul Rudd’s character at the party near the start of the film. I don’t know why she started following me on Twitter. I followed her back because, why not? I’d never had a verified account following me before. Pretty sure she’s still the only verified account that follows me on Twitter.
8. Which of the following couples do I think have the most believable on-screen romance?
A) Rocky and Adrian
B) Han and Leia
C) Neo and Trinity
Correct: Monty, Paul
I will always argue that the first two Rocky movies are more about the romance between Rocky and Adrian than they are about boxing. The fights at the end are secondary compared to that love story. The rest of the movies in the franchise? Yeah… they’re about boxing. Except for Rocky IV. That’s about one man ending the Cold War with a series of montages and punches to the face of communism.
9. In 2011 I won tickets to the Greenbrier Classic, a golf tournament that included three nights of concerts. Which concert did I not attend?
A) Black Eyed Peas
B) Tim McGraw
C) Miranda Lambert
This was a shame because I actually liked Tim McGraw. I just didn’t have the energy to do three concerts for three nights in a row. Especially when I had to drive up to White Sulphur Springs from Roanoke each day for the events. I’ll say this… I wasn’t all that impressed by Miranda Lambert. But the Black Eyed Peas put on one heck of a show.
10. In college, my friend Andy and I toyed with the idea of becoming a comedy duo that would perform parody songs. The only song we completed was to the tune of “Superman” by Five for Fighting. We changed the lyrics so that the song was now about what television icon?
A) Steve Urkel
B) Samuel “Screech” Powers
C) Angus MacGyver
Correct: Monty, Venus, T, Paul
I wish I could remember all of the lyrics, because I think it could have been a really great parody song. Maybe not “Weird” Al Yankovic level of parody, but decent nonetheless.
Total for Week 4 – Combined total in parentheses
1. Paul – 7 (28)
2. yoyoliving – 5 (24)
3. Monty – 4 (18)
3. T – 4 (14)
5. Venus – 3 (12)
Let’s take a look at the Medal Tally! I’m very happy to announce that, as of this week, everyone who has participated has medaled at some point. Now we have one more quiz for you medaling kids.
This week’s topic is: True or False
- Answer the questions below in a blog post of your own and link it back to this post so I can see it.
- Your answers are due by next Wednesday, March 9. Results will be posted on Thursday, March 10 and medals will be presented.
- Every question is about me. There is only one correct answer.
- You are not required to provide any commentary with your answers, but you can if you want!
- Remember that next week I will not only hand out medals for Week 5 but for the overall correct answer count as well, so it could still be anyone’s game!
It’s time to play The Blogger Games II!
1. Growing up, I had a dog named Duchess.
2. The first roller coaster I ever rode was Busch Gardens’ Loch Ness Monster.
3. I have successfully been doing my own laundry since I was a freshman in high school.
4. I once ate an entire Pop’s Sundae Supreme (a dessert meant to be shared by four people) on a bet and won.
5. The first time I ever boarded an airplane was when I flew to Istanbul in 2017.
6. I was recently asked to help edit a book about the James Bond franchise.
7. At the age of 5, my picture was in the local newspaper.
8. I have had more than two dozen roommates throughout my life.
9. As an adult, I have celebrated two birthdays at Chuck E. Cheese.
10. The only broken bones I have ever experienced have come in the form of cracked ribs from coughing too hard in a fit of bronchitis.
Your turn to share…
This part won’t be marked.
Have you had any pets? What was your first roller coaster? Do you excel at any household chores? What have you eaten to win a bet? Have you flown anywhere in the world? How are you at picking out grammatical errors? Have you ever had your picture in the paper? Got roommates? Where’s the best place to celebrate a birthday? What bones have you broken?
Don’t forget, double medals will be handed out next week. There will be one set for this week’s questions and another for the overall total for all five weeks.
Good luck and have fun, for this is the final week of The Blogger Games.
See you next Wednesday from the Closing Ceremony.