Welcome to Bluefield at 100! Bluefield College is celebrating 100 years and has undergone a name change! Each week, in honor of this milestone, The Confusing Middle will shine the spotlight on an individual who spent time at Bluefield University, giving them a chance to fill us all in on where they are and how they’ve been doing since the college years. I hope you’ll join us back here every week as we get reacquainted with some old friends!
This week we’re hearing from Travis Archer!
- What have you been up to since your time in Bluefield?
After college I moved to Charlotte NC where I started the police academy in 2003. I also got married in 2002. We were young and dumb…lol
- Where are you living now? For how long?
We live in Cornelius NC and have for 16 years.
- Did you pursue any education after college? If so, what degrees have you obtained?
No more education after Bluefield however I do have my advanced law enforcement degree.
- Where did you earn your first “grown-up” paycheck?
Charlotte NC with CMPD
- Who is your current employer and what is your job title?
City of Charlotte, police officer
- What are your hobbies? What do you end up doing in your spare time?
I love spending time with my kids. We love going hiking and seeing waterfalls. We travel a lot.
- Have you done much traveling? Where have you visited?
We have made several trips to Florida, including the Gulf Coast and the Daytona Beach area. We have also went to the Georgia coast and now love going to Oak Island NC. I was lucky enough to accompany my wife back to her native country of Honduras back in 2018. An amazing place.
- Are you married? If so, who is your spouse?
I have been married to my wife Lourdes for over 19 years now. We were married in 2002 and have three children.
- How did you and your spouse meet?
My wife and I met at my hometown church in Galax VA.
- Do you have children? What are their names/ages?
We have three children, Trevor 16, Natalie 13, Ryan 10
- Tell us a funny story about your kids…
My kids are my life. They keep me entertained and on the edge of my seat.
- What was your favorite class at Bluefield?
I always with my criminal justice classes with Dr. Farmer and Dr. Walls
- Which teachers influenced your life and made a lasting impression? Why?
I would say Dr. Walls influenced my current career in law enforcement. I have been on the job for over 18 years and still love my job despite all the non sense around the country today.
- What was your major and/or minor?
Criminal justice, Psychology.
- What did you want to be when you “grew up?”
I always saw myself as a teacher and a basketball coach.
- What was your funniest moment in college?
This is a tough one, would have to say freshman year when Ben threw a piece of chicken across the cafeteria.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
Probably anything involving girls and me making an idiot of myself…lol
- What was the dumbest thing you did in college? Was it worth it?
Looking back I would say there were a lot of dumb things, especially on the weekends. Hard to say the one that sticks out the most or its my secret….lol
- What is your most vivid memory from Bluefield College?
The trip to Brazil
- Was there ever something you wanted to do during your college days but never did?
Took the opportunity to go to a police academy during my last year
- What was your go-to during Late Night in the Shott Hall dining room?
I worked there, def the chicken nuggets.
- Did you play any sports?
I was on the men’s basketball team my senior year
- How about intramurals?
yes, basketball and flag football.
- Did you pledge with a fraternity or sorority?
- Were you involved in any other extracurriculars (theater, yearbook, clubs, etc.)?
- What on-campus events did you enjoy participating in or attending?
Soccer and baseball games. The school dances were fun
- Did you jump into the mud pit on Mud Pig Day?
Yes and maybe the night before Mud Pig day
- Did you have a work-study job on campus?
Yes, my internship was with a youth probation office and working with troubled youths
- Did you have a job off campus?
Yes, Food City
- Which dorm did you live in? Or did you commute?
I lived in the men’s dorms my first 2 years and then the dorms by the Dome my last two years
- Tell us your craziest roommate story…
Coming back from work and Brandon, Seth and Ryan hiding in the closet to scare the crap out of me
- Which classmate influenced you the most?
- What personal experiences since college would you like to share?
I look at my time at Bluefield as what changed my life and made me the person I am today.
- What plans do you have for the next 10 years?
I have 18 years with the city of Charlotte. In the next 10 years I look forward to planning for my 30 year retirement and watching my kids becoming amazing adults…..
- Give us a quote to live by…
“Are you living the life you chose or the life that chose you” Jason Isbell
I want to thank Travis for taking time to answer all these questions and for sharing with us this week! Come back next week when another Bluefield survivor takes the hot seat!
And if you spent time at Bluefield College and want to participate, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you the full list of questions! Until next time, GO RAMS!