A Kid in King Arthur’s Court
Directed by Michael Gottlieb
Quick synopsis… When an earthquake rumbles through the ballpark during a Little League game, a 14-year-old boy falls back in time to the mythical medieval kingdom of Camelot and the court of legendary King Arthur.
- We’ve arrived at the first movie on this month’s planned A to Z schedule that I’ve never seen before now.
- But I’m not looking forward to it.
- Wanna know how I know this isn’t gonna be a good movie?
- The tag line on the poster is, “Joust do it.”
- Also, between this and Rookie of the Year, I wonder if Thomas Ian Nicholas worried about being typecast as a Little League ball player for his entire career.
- Good thing American Pie came along a few years later.
- Oh, and he did come back for the direct to video sequel, A Kid in Aladdin’s Palace.
- But since it doesn’t feature Robin Williams as the Genie, it’s pointless.
- Also, it was direct to video… which makes it more pointless.
- Movies skipping the theater meant a very different thing back in the ’90s.
- Today it’s not a big deal with Netflix and Amazon Prime and Disney+ fighting the streaming wars.
- But I digress…
- I wasn’t looking forward to this movie when I put it on my list.
- I’m kind of kicking myself for not going with The Kid, starring Bruce Willis.
- But I had no idea it was on Disney+ because when I was looking through the alphabetical list of movies that the streaming service provides, it’s listed as Disney’s The Kid and shows up in the Ds.
- Stupid inaccurate alphabetical order.
- I will say, the special effects totally hold up 25 years later.
- Just kidding… the effects are horrible.
- Even by 1995 standards.
- I mean, come on Disney… At this point, we’ve seen believable dinosaurs on the big screen.
- I was surprised to see Kate Winslet and Daniel Craig in supporting roles.
- I wonder what they think of this movie when they look back at their careers.
- Except for the haircut… has Daniel Craig always looked like he’s in his 40s?
- All right… for the first time during this challenge, we’ve come to a movie that I absolutely cannot in good conscience recommend.
- If this is one of those movies you loved as a child of the ’90s and it holds a special place of nostalgia in your heart, I’m sorry.
- It’s just… I really wanna say… bad.
Thanks for tuning in to Day Eleven of the 2020 A to Z Challenge! If you like Disney movies, then stick with me for the rest of the month. I’ll be doing a movie beginning with each letter of the alphabet each day (except Sundays) all month. And I’ll try to give hints about the next day’s movie in case you want to take a guess in the comments.
Clues for tomorrow’s movie are that it begins with an L and it’s a Disney movie. Just kidding… Y’all tired of that joke yet? Anyway, tomorrow’s movie is a classic in every sense of the word. It’s beloved by all and is responsible for kicking off Disney’s renaissance of the ’90s. It’s all about a girl who just wants to be where the people are. I think we can all identify with that these days. Any guesses?
2 thoughts on “A to Z Challenge – A Kid in King Arthur’s Court”
“Joust Do It” is peak 90s Disney.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: A to Z Challenge 2020 – Reflection | The Confusing Middle