Welcome to The Best Movies I’ve Never Seen! This is the part of the blog where I work my way through 100 films I’ve never seen that are generally considered to be great. You’re invited to watch along with me if you can find a copy or find it streaming. So grab some popcorn and let’s get started!
Directed by Mel Brooks
Quick synopsis… Politically incorrect and relentlessly funny, Mel Brooks’s take on Hollywood Westerns follows the tortured trail of freed slave Bart, who’s elected sheriff of the racist town of Rock Ridge. He must foil a land-grabbing governor (Brooks) with help from a washed-up, pot-smoking gunslinger (Gene Wilder).
- Before seeing this movie, I know very little about it.
- I know my dad liked it, but he never showed it to me in my growing up years.
- I’m sure there’s a good reason for that.
- The only thing I remember Dad saying about this movie was that he made the mistake of taking a girl to see this on a first date.
- I guess this is not the kind of movie you take a girl to see when you’re trying to make a good first impression.
- Okay… I am about two minutes into this thing and I can already tell you that no studio executive in their right mind would ever greenlight this movie today.
- Try not to judge me too harshly, but I plan to laugh at a great deal of the inappropriate jokes that are made throughout this film.
- I grew up in the ’80s, so I’m not as easily offended as the kids today.
- But, if you were to watch this movie and find offensive, I wouldn’t blame you.
- Because through my laughter, I’m also saying things like, “You can’t say/do that!”
- I get why it’s considered one of, if not the best of, Mel Brooks’ films.
- Personally, I still prefer Young Frankenstein.
- Having now seen Blazing Saddles, it currently ranks at 1,137 out of 2,246 movies on my personal Flickchart list.
Have you seen Blazing Saddles? If so, what did you think of it? Offensive beyond the point of comedy or comedic beyond the point of offense? Let me know what you think down in the comments! Next week’s movie is called Rififi, which is one I’d never even heard of before putting this list together. I think it’s French… Guess we’ll find out next week.