Welcome to Rewatching Buffy, the part of the blog where I rewatch Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Each Tuesday evening, you’re invited to join me as I attempt to rediscover what made me love this show so many years ago.
- A girl is being chased through the woods by the First Evil’s Harbingers.
- She flags down an old pick up truck being driven by a priest (Nathan Fillion).
- He gives her a ride and is friendly enough… at first.
- She asks him to take her to Sunnydale.
- He introduces himself as Caleb and she says her name is Shannon.
- Suddenly the conversation turns…
- He starts calling her a whore… she tries to get out of the truck while it’s moving and she’s locked in.
- Caleb uses the truck’s cigarette lighter to heat up a ring, which he then uses to brand Shannon.
- He tells her there’s a car coming up behind them and they’ll take her where she needs to go.
- He wants her to deliver a message to the Slayer, then stabs her in the gut before whispering something we can’t hear.
- Caleb shoves her out the door and Willow and Faith pull up to help her.
- At Xander’s apartment, he has a late night talk with a Potential Slayer who’s scared of what’s coming.
- The conversation turns sexual… and then another girl appears out of nowhere…
- He’s concerned the others might hear them, but the girls sleeping in the living room are busy having a pillow fight.
- Then he wakes up…
- At the hospital, Willow and Faith watch as Shannon receives treatment.
- Faith half-confronts Willow about everything going on with the First and no one giving her a heads up.
- Willow is apologetic and Faith says it’s no big deal… she handled the one that came after her in prison.
- Elsewhere, a girl runs through a cemetery and Spike catches up to her to knock her out.
- Then Faith starts to fight Spike and he tries to talk her down, but it takes Buffy to break it up.
- Faith still thinks Spike was attacking an innocent… vampire, who attacks Faith.
- She takes down the vampire…
- The exchange between the three of them is friggin’ priceless.
- Buffy explains that Spike has a soul now.
- Faith: “Like Angel?”
- Spike: “I am nothing like Angel!”
- I still love when Faith shows up… the dynamic between her and literally everyone is fantastic.
- In an underground wine cellar, Caleb talks with the First in the form of Buffy.
- These two are apparently pretty tight.
- But this is the first time the First has revealed what Buffy looks like to Caleb.
- He’s been doing things for the First Evil behind the scenes.
- Turns out, he’s responsible for blowing up the Watchers’ Council.
- Andrew is back in Storyteller mode to share an exaggerated version of Faith’s history.
- He warns the Potentials to stay on guard around Faith… she’s a killer.
- Uh… so are you, dude.
- At school, Buffy stops by Wood’s office.
- She meant what she said, that she has no time for his vendetta, but she needs him in this fight.
- On a personal level, he tells her they’re good… then he fires her, effective immediately.
- He does this because her focus is needed elsewhere… besides, most kids aren’t even showing up to school anymore and people are leaving Sunnydale.
- At the house, Faith escapes to the basement to get away from the annoyance of Potentials.
- She and Spike talk… he asks why she spent all that time in prison, even though she’s got the power to have walked away any time she wanted.
- Faith confesses that she’s met Spike before… back when she switched bodies with Buffy.
- Buffy comes down to the basement and the tension is palpable.
- Dawn yells down the stairs that Willow just called from the hospital.
- Buffy goes and talks to Shannon.
- Shannon tells her that Caleb has something of hers.
- Buffy gathers everyone in the living room to tell them about Caleb and her plan is to take the fight to him.
- “He’s got something of mine? I’m gonna get it back. And you’re coming with me.”
- Back in the cellar, Caleb talks to a young girl who claims she heard him preaching and was drawn to him.
- He kills her…
- But she’s not really some girl… she’s the First, who turns back into Buffy.
- The First is having fun with Caleb, showing him girls he’s killed in the past.
- We pick up little things about Caleb… like the fact that he’s a serial killer.
- Buffy discusses the attack on Caleb with the team…
- Xander points out the obvious, that this is probably a trap.
- Buffy says she’ll only take the Potentials that have been with them longest, the rest will stay at the house with Giles and Willow.
- Following a Harbinger, Buffy and Faith nearly get into it during their walk and talk.
- They find the vineyard and head back to get the cavalry.
- At the house, Xander is giving a last minute pep talk…
- “Everything has eyes…” That’s foreshadowing…
- He then tells all the Potentials that Buffy cares more about their lives than anything… they need to trust her.
- Buffy leads them back to the vineyard and down into the cellar.
- Doesn’t take long before the Bringers come out of the shadows to attack the good guys.
- Enter: Caleb… and the fighting stops.
- “I heard you had something of mine.”
- Caleb laughs… “Well, I do now…” as he motions around the room at the Potentials.
- He throws one punch which launches Buffy across the room.
- The fight breaks out again and Caleb breaks Rona’s arm.
- Faith and Xander bring the rest of the Potentials in as back up.
- Caleb snaps the neck of one Potential…
- Buffy tells Xander to get everyone out, they need to retreat.
- Then Caleb stabs another Potential… one of the first to arrive…
- Xander makes sure everyone gets out, but Caleb grabs him.
- “You’re the one who sees everything… Let’s see what we can do about that.”
- Caleb jams his thumb into Xander’s left eye.
- Spike tackles Caleb, giving Buffy a chance to help Xander out of there.
- Buffy surveys all the damage… so many allies in the hospital… scared Potentials at home…
- All the while, Caleb’s voice goes on and on, sharing with the First his plan to kill them all.
- Body count: Vampires – 1; Potential Slayers – 2
One thought on “Rewatching Buffy – Episode 140”
LikeLiked by 1 person