We Bought a Zoo
Directed by Cameron Crowe
Quick Synopsis… In this adaptation of Benjamin Mee’s memoir about buying and saving a run-down zoo, the locale shifts from Britain to southern California. However, the wacky spirit of the original is retained, complete with escaped tigers and a zoo crew of misfits.
- Meet the Mee family.
- We’re introduced to Benjamin Mee (Matt Damon) and his two kids as they attempt to readjust to life in the midst of recent tragedy.
- Dylan, Benjamin’s son, is struggling with school, both academically and behaviorally, leading to his expulsion. This, in spite of his belief that they’re not going to fail someone whose mom died six months ago.
- Rosie, on the other hand, has a much more optimistic outlook. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that she’s only about seven.
- Dylan being expelled seems to be the last sign Benjamin needs to hit the reset button, so he and Rosie go house hunting.
- And the perfect house just happens to be attached to an out of commission zoo.
- If you couldn’t tell from the title, the Mee family buys the zoo.
- Dylan is unhappy about this decision, but Benjamin mostly chalks that up to him being a moody teenage boy whose mom recently died. Dylan is unhappy about everything.
- As it turns out, owning/running a zoo is a bit more complicated than Benjamin expected.
- Of course, he’s got help…
- The zoo is fully staffed, including Kelly (Scarlett Johansson), the head zookeeper.
- They all work hard to get the zoo back up to code so that they can once again open it to the public.
- The heart of this movie is about this small family and how they recover from losing a wife/mother at such a young age.
- I’ve been known to shed a tear or two during some of these interactions we see between Benjamin and his son.
- It’s funny how many seemingly damaged relationships can be healed by simple communication.
- I’m not sure who would agree with me, but I consider this one of Cameron Crowe’s better films.
- And it has a fantastic soundtrack.
- If you haven’t seen it, check it out.
If you have seen We Bought a Zoo, what did you think? We’re in the home stretch of this challenge and tomorrow’s X movie. No… not X-rated movie. Just starts with an X. Wanna take a guess at the title without any hints?