Directed by Roger Kumble
Quick Synopsis… After being snubbed by his high school crush, an overweight nice guy moves to Los Angeles, where he slims down and blossoms into a womanizer. But when he’s stranded in his hometown, he bumps into the girl who once broke his heart.
- Ryan Reynolds in a fat suit. Hilarious.
- This is another one of those movies that I’m unsure of how popular it really is.
- I mean, I like it.
- Obviously… Would I force myself to watch a movie I don’t like for a voluntary blog post?
- Back in 1995, Chris Brander (Reynolds) is the overweight best friend of super popular Jamie Palamino (Amy Smart).
- Thing is, he’s madly in love with her and she’s kept him firmly planted in the friend zone.
- After graduation, he’s tired of the way everyone from school has treated him, so he vows to leave town and never return.
- Fast forward ten years and Chris Brander has the looks of Ryan Reynolds. And he’s kind of a player when it comes to the ladies now.
- No more friend zoning for Chris.
- He’s in LA and works as a successful record producer.
- As fate would have it, he’s paired up with a psychotic artist named Samantha James (Anna Faris) and as they’re flying to Paris, she causes them to make an emergency landing in Chris’ hometown in New Jersey.
- So Chris is thrust back into his old life and he runs into his old crush.
- But they’ve both changed.
- Where she’s now in a place where she wants to meet and settle down with the nice guy, he’s just a player who wants to name drop and make her see how awesome his life is now.
- The movie follows your basic romantic comedy formula.
- When you think things are going to work out, they really don’t because there’s always a huge, ridiculous misunderstanding.
- But then things do work out because one or both parties has this amazing epiphany and they crawl back to their significant other begging for them to be together.
- This is pretty much how things happen.
- I mean, there are interruptions in the forms of Samantha and Dusty Dinkleman (Chris Klein). But it all turns out okay.
- If you haven’t seen it, it’s worth seeing. It’s got some pretty good lines.
Sorry… I cheated on this one. I’ve been watching all of these movies as I’ve written these posts. I just didn’t have time to watch this one last night. Though, to be fair, I’ve probably seen this a dozen times. So, please forgive me for going on memory this time. Have you seen Just Friends? What did you think of it?
Tomorrow’s movie begins with a K. It’s a suspense thriller from the mind of author James Patterson. Got any guesses? Let me know what you think in the comments. I’m pretty sure the James Patterson clue gives it away.