Welcome back to Bloganuary, the daily encouragement from WordPress for bloggers to post something each day. If you want to participate in Bloganuary, just click here! Today’s prompt asks: If you could, what year would you time travel to and why?
I mean, why not? It’s the year Back to the Future came out. So, that automatically makes it a little more awesome than all the other years. Right?
What else makes 1985 awesome?
- “We Are the World” was recorded.
- It was the year of the first WrestleMania
- I’d get a chance to taste New Coke and decide for myself what made it so bad. I have no memory of ever tasting it, since I was only five when it hit grocery store shelves.
- Super Mario Bros. became a thing. Before that, they weren’t super.
- Calvin and Hobbes debuted in the funny pages and became the greatest comic strip of all time. This is not up for debate.
- The classic comic book story Crisis on Infinite Earths began over at DC Comics.
- Other movies I could see in the theater: The Breakfast Club, Clue, Cocoon, The Color Purple, D.A.R.Y.L., Fletch, Fright Night, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, The Goonies, The Journey of Natty Gann, Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, Return to Oz, Rocky IV, Weird Science, and of course, Sesame Street Presents Follow That Bird.
And I’d hand off a letter to my parents who would probably recognize me as someone related to my father. A long lost relative but the resemblance is uncanny. And the contents of the letter would give some sound financial advice. Something along the lines of investing in Intel in the late 80s… keep an eye out for Google and Yahoo in the 90s and early 2000s. Don’t worry about Y2K… it’s not gonna even be a thing.