Welcome to Rewatching Buffy, the part of the blog where I rewatch Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Each Tuesday evening, you’re invited to join me as I attempt to rediscover what made me love this show so many years ago.
Get It Done
- Buffy walks through her living room, where about a dozen Potentials are sleeping on the floor.
- Same goes for Willow’s room… and Dawn’s room…
- Then she comes across Chloe, crying in the hallway.
- Buffy is suddenly tackled down the stairs by the First Slayer who warns her, “It’s not enough!”
- She wakes up in her own bed, surrounded by more Potentials sleeping on her floor.
- Spike and Anya have gotten out of the house to get a drink… too many Potential Slayers.
- While out, Anya is attacked by a demon assassin sent by D’Hoffryn.
- Spike stops the demon, but they end up escaping instead of slaying the demon.
- At the high school, Buffy and Robin confront two students for fighting.
- The principal has noticed that things are getting worse… the Hellmouth is affecting everyone faster than they expected.
- Robin has decided to give Buffy his mother’s old emergency kit.
- He says it should have been passed down to her through Slayers over the years, but he couldn’t bear to part with it.
- She takes him to the house to fill him in on all things in the fight against evil.
- In the back yard, Kennedy is in charge of some training… but she’s a little bit hard on Chloe.
- Down in the basement, Anya is arguing with Spike about the assassin.
- Robin feels about as good about Spike having a soul as Connor does about Angel.
- There is clear tension but Spike doesn’t know why.
- Later, Dawn tells Buffy about what she’s inventoried from the bag while they walk around straightening up the bedrooms.
- When they get to Willow’s room, they find that Chloe has hanged herself.
- Then the First shows up in the form of Chloe.
- It spent all night whispering little lies in Chloe’s ear until she couldn’t stand it anymore.
- Chloe’s suicide has shaken up the entire group of Potentials.
- It’s shaken up Buffy, too.
- After she buries Chloe, she gives a pep talk that isn’t very peppy…
- In fact, it kind of just promotes dissension in the ranks.
- Spike doesn’t want to hear the speech and starts to walk out, so Buffy turns on him.
- She says he’s been holding back since he got his soul back… she needs Spike to be dangerous.
- Buffy sends the Potentials upstairs and gets Dawn to break out the emergency kit.
- They find a box with shadow casters that should tell a story that they need to see.
- As Dawn reads the story and the shadows are cast on the wall, she says an exchange has to be made.
- A portal opens up and Buffy has to go in.
- In her place, an enormous demonic creature shows up and throws Xander across the room.
- Everyone tries to fight and Spike even comes back to lend a hand.
- But the demon throws Spike through the ceiling and then runs out of the house.
- Buffy winds up in the same desert from her dream at the end of Season 4, where she encountered the First Slayer.
- Spike comes to and tells Willow to get cracking on figuring out how to open another portal while he goes after the demon.
- He starts to head out and says there’s something he needs to get.
- In the desert, Buffy encounters the three men who created the First Slayer.
- They say they can’t give her knowledge… only power.
- Then they knock her out.
- Willow begins to work on a spell and nothing seems to be happening.
- Suddenly, a blast of energy knocks back Dawn and Kennedy while Willow’s eyes go black and she screams in a voice that really isn’t her own.
- Buffy wakes up chained to the ground.
- The men want to imbue her with more power and complain that the First Slayer did not talk this much.
- The power they speak of is the heart of the demon.
- That’s how they created the First Slayer.
- Buffy isn’t down for this change… but she doesn’t seem to have much of a choice as some kind of black sludgey essence enters Buffy’s nose and ears.
- She screams and seemingly rejects the demon.
- Spike digs through his stuff in the school basement and finds his long black coat.
- He passes Robin on his way out who comments on the coat… he knows it belonged to his mother.
- Willow’s spell continues and she draws on energy from Kennedy and Anya (without permission)… but it works and the portal opens.
- Spike is back to his old self in the coat and takes on the demon.
- Buffy breaks her chains and calls out the three men for the way they treated and used the First Slayer.
- Spike kills the demon and drags it back to the house to throw it in the portal.
- Before Buffy is returned to the house, one of the men touches the side of her head, apparently revealing something to her.
- Willow apologizes to Kennedy, but her actions may have damaged their blossoming relationship.
- Then Willow goes to check on Buffy…
- She tells Willow that the Shadow Men offered her more power, but she turned them down.
- She reveals that they showed her an army of ubervamps, waiting for the Hellmouth to open.
- Body count: Demons – 1