Welcome to Bluefield at 100! Bluefield College is celebrating 100 years and has undergone a name change! Each week, in honor of this milestone, The Confusing Middle will shine the spotlight on an individual who spent time at Bluefield University, giving them a chance to fill us all in on where they are and how they’ve been doing since the college years. I hope you’ll join us back here every week as we get reacquainted with some old friends!
This week we’re hearing from Melissa Hypes!
- What have you been up to since your time in Bluefield?
I attended graduate school, married my college sweetheart and we have 2 children.
- Where are you living now? For how long?
Franklin County, Va. We have lived there for almost 15 years.
- Did you pursue any education after college? If so, what degrees have you obtained?
Yes, I completed my Ph.D. In Biomedical Science at the University of South Carolina
- Where did you earn your first “grown-up” paycheck?
My first grown up job was with the VA Dept. of Forensic Science
- Who is your current employer and what is your job title?
VA Dept. of Forensic Science, Forensic Scientist Senior in the Forensic Biology Section
- What are your hobbies? What do you end up doing in your spare time?
My kids’ sports seem to take most of my spare time these days.
- Have you done much traveling? Where have you visited?
I have been to Paris, France, traveled around Italy, Grenada, Toronto, Canada, Maui, Hawaii and multiple other states in the US
- Are you married? If so, who is your spouse?
Yes, Jason Hypes
- How did you and your spouse meet?
My cousin introduced us outside of Schott Hall at Bluefield College my Junior year
- Do you have children? What are their names/ages?
Yes, Maggie/14 and Jake/10
- Tell us a funny story about your kids…
When my son was 3 or 4, my daughter told him that brown cows make chocolate milk and he said no they don’t, they don’t have hands!
- What was your favorite class at Bluefield?
- Which teachers influenced your life and made a lasting impression? Why?
Dr. Kerr. I had him for the majority of my biology related classes. He cared about his students and set a good example of Christian living
- What was your major and/or minor?
Double Major in Chemistry and Biology
- What did you want to be when you “grew up?”
I thought that I wanted to go into the pharmaceutical industry
- What was your funniest moment in college?
Lots of them, but maybe fighting in a sumo-suit on mud pig Day
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- What was the dumbest thing you did in college? Was it worth it?
- What is your most vivid memory from Bluefield College?
playing pool in the S.A.C. between classes
- Was there ever something you wanted to do during your college days but never did?
live in a dorm
- What was your go-to during Late Night in the Shott Hall dining room?
more like early morning, Mary (Clements) Vinson would bring coffee creamers for us to share when we were both working at the community center at 5 AM
- Did you play any sports?
- How about intramurals?
- Did you pledge with a fraternity or sorority?
- Were you involved in any other extracurriculars (theater, yearbook, clubs, etc.)?
- What on-campus events did you enjoy participating in or attending?
The “coffee Houses” with different comedians and artists
- Did you jump into the mud pit on Mud Pig Day?
yes, well usually I was thrown or pushed in! I did enjoy the slide!
- Did you have a work-study job on campus?
- Did you have a job off campus?
Yes, Hills Department Store then GIV in Bland Co. I also lifeguarded at the Community Center and local pools in the summer
- Which dorm did you live in? Or did you commute?
- Tell us your craziest roommate story…
- Which classmate influenced you the most?
Heather (Howell) Harris, Chrystal (Kidd) King and, Christina (Rushbrook) Grice are just a few. I made life-long friends at BC that are still my best friends. They have been there with me through weddings, babies, holidays, and loses. They have all in some way made me a better person.
- What personal experiences since college would you like to share?
My husband and I had our reception at Bluefield College because that’s where we met.
- What plans do you have for the next 10 years?
I plan to continue working at my current position. I hope to see both my children graduate and go on to paths for successful adult lives of their own. I would like to get involved in some missions work and maybe also in ASD advocacy.
- Give us a quote to live by…
A scripture to live by: Joshua 1:9 Be Strong and Courageous, Do not be frightened, Do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
I want to thank Melissa for taking time to answer all these questions and for sharing with us this week! Come back next week when another Bluefield survivor takes the hot seat!
And if you spent time at Bluefield College and want to participate, please reach out to me at email@example.com and I will send you the full list of questions! Until next time, GO RAMS!