The Single Guy and the Teacher

The following tale is based on actual events which occurred a number of years ago. This will be the first part of a trilogy of stories about the Teacher…

I didn’t have a lot of opportunities to meet single ladies in those days. Nor did I try. I spent a good 85% of my time feeling that it just wasn’t worth it. But then there was the other 15% of that time.

Working in a school had been an interesting transition for me. I liked it a lot better than I thought I would. In fact, a few years prior, if someone had told me that I would love a job that saw me constantly in a classroom setting, I may have laughed. Loudly. Honestly, it may have been an uncontrollable kind of laughter. But at this point, it wouldn’t have seemed so funny. I really did love the job.

And I really grew to like the people I was working with. The teachers, the students, the school staff… they were all great. Some of the younger kids at the school looked at me like I was a rock star. I obviously was not a rock star, but it was nice that the students recognized my awesomeness. And I really grew to consider a lot of the teachers to be friends.

One in particular.

Okay, the one in particular may not necessarily been a friend at this point, but I would have certainly liked to have seen a friendship grow there. This particular teacher, whom we’ll refer to as the Teacher (original, right?), was someone who had really grown on me. Side question: did I just use the words whom and who correctly in that last sentence?

Anyway, I didn’t plan to take notice of anyone I worked with. That’s never the plan. I viewed the workplace relationships as complicated at best. But, aren’t all relationships? It took time, and I eventually took notice of the Teacher.

Through conversations, I discovered a couple of small world connections. The Teacher went to college with my supervisor and graduated with a friend from my teenage years. Crazy, right? But until a few months into the job, there just had not been a whole lot of advances in our conversations. I viewed her as a friendly coworker and nothing more.

And then there was a day when the Teacher was absent from school. I realized I missed seeing her more than I probably should have. It was a strange feeling for me. Something I hadn’t really felt in quite some time. Another time, I realized just how much I enjoyed making her laugh. Her students tried to convince me to sing for her on the playground one day. A little girl asked me to sing something with the Teacher’s name. So I sang one line from a song as a play on her name. Laughter ensued.

One day, I was exchanging banter with a couple other teachers in the school. One of them spouted off a random fact about how turtles breathe. Not to be outdone, I said, “Did you know that a jellyfish’s mouth is also its…” At that moment, I looked up and saw the Teacher standing in the doorway staring at me. Suddenly I became slightly embarrassed at the thought of completing that sentence with the word “anus.” Instead, I said, “…and on that note, I’m gonna go.” This turned out to be a decent icebreaker.Finding Nemo - Jellyfish

After that, conversations between myself and the Teacher seemed easier. We talked, we laughed… it was fun. And then, with only four and a half days left in that school year, I had a very limited window of opportunity. And I was determined to seize it. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a ponytail and a nice smile.

4 thoughts on “The Single Guy and the Teacher

  1. Pingback: The Single Guy vs. the Obstacle Course – The Confusing Middle

  2. Pingback: The Single Guy vs the Last Day of School – The Confusing Middle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s